Most traditional architecture firms follow a superficial design process that doesn’t look beyond the quantitative needs and specs required by the clients. We have decided to take a more radical approach that allows us to work more intimately and effectively with the clients creating a distinctive client-centered design process which integrates our clients’ lives with their projects. In fact, we usually end up becoming good friends by the end of the project. We know that good design requires an integrated and in-depth process and translates to the project turning the client’s visions into reality.
Our design process can be broadly divided into two phases:
It starts with an in-depth analysis of your needs, your visions and the many layers of interwoven relationships happening within your project. This is in stark comparison to the traditional approach that most firms use, where they only take a look at the size and spatial requirements, number of rooms, cabins and the like.
In this analysis phase, we draw out the essence of the project and ensure that it tightly integrated into the design and the final built product. We then create a Project Outline that illustrates the major parameters and components to be followed in the design process. This Outline serves as a dynamic roadmap that will guide us through the rest of the design process.
As the design process moves forward, this roadmap serves as a solid foundation that guides us through the complexities of the building process. It visually encapsulates the psychology, dynamic relationships, and specific goals that are most important to the project. We then use this outline to develop our 2D and 3D designs and documents.
By constantly referring back to your Design Outline as a roadmap, we are able to ensure that the designs we come up with reflect the elements we came up with during the analysis.
Our outcomes are different and distinct as a result of our unique methodology and your personal roadmap. Our final built projects exhibit the unique aspects of each client, becoming exceptional and special buildings as a result of our innovative design process.
The following is a detailed outline of our project delivery process with a brief description of each stage:
1. PROGRAMMING: Identification of the scope of the project and needs of the client. Synonymous with the Analysis phase.
2. SCHEMATIC DESIGN: After the goals have been decided, the Project Outline begins to shape that shows the location and 3D design of the building and the general organization of rooms.
3. DESIGN DEVELOPMENT: The final Project Outline is developed which integrates all the elements drawn out in the Analysis phase.
4. CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS: This level involves preparation of a full set of documents that explain the design to the contractor and the other involved parties.
5. INTERIOR DESIGN: Defining the interior, fittings and fixtures etc.
6. BIDDING: Selecting a contractor and transitioning from the pre-construction agreement to the final construction contract.
7. CONSTRUCTION: The construction is observed and field reports made periodically.
8. POST OCCUPANCY: The clients are provided help as they move into the project and final fine-tuning is done. After one year, the project is re-inspected and any additional work to be done by the contractor is completed.
Having practiced architecture for many years, we have found that this design process is the most fair for all parties involved. The result is a unique project that meets your needs, expresses your personality and provides enjoyment for all the users.